Every case of child abuse or neglect is different and specific to the individual situation. There are recognizable physical and behavioral indicators of child abuse or neglect. By learning and recognizing some of these common signs, you may be able to help save the life of a child. The following are some important signs of abuse and neglect.
- Excessively withdrawn, fearful or anxious
- Sleeping problems
- Extreme behavior (passive or aggressive)
- Unexplained injuries
- Afraid to go home
- Reacts to sudden movements
- Chronically dirty
- Frequently left alone
- Often out of school
- Trouble walking or sitting, pain or itching in genital area
- Knowledge of sexual acts
- Runs away from home
- Frequent complaints of stomachaches or headaches
If you feel something is wrong, it is better to be safe than sorry. To report suspected abuse or neglect, call the Child-at-Risk Hotline: 1-800-792-5200.